Monday, September 10, 2012

D4M: Menagerie ● Week 2

I'm back with colour and more colour!

Remember those two artists I talked about earlier?  Thomas Thesen and Tom Whalen.  Yes, them.  Well, after several good looks at their works I made some colour schemes for them.  Mind you,  I made it for some different photos than the ones that have previously been posted here.  Oh, well.

Thomas Thesen's work is shown here.  For the most part I got this collection from his blog.  Anyways, his work is "A Top View from the Mushroom Forest," "Second Page of Paul Quickaboonip," and "Captain Alistair Quickaboonip."


Using a colour scheme from the three above, I applied it to a bird.  It's a Victoria Crowned Pigeon.  And I know what you're thinking.  It's a pigeon.  Yea, well. it's a pigeon with a feathered mohawk.  So I wasn't really sure what I was going for.  So I tried to do it layers like demonstrated from the last post with the insects from Thalen.  Then I moved onto attempting it with colour.  The final one is to the far right.  I tried to employ the colour scheme chosen from Thalen's image to the best of my ability.  I'm not very good at sticking to a palette.



Next, from Tom Whalen I employed these works: "Spotify Jukebox," "Cobra 10 Cover," and "Certification Training."  They're, for the most parts, illustrations he has done.


Which I adapted to create my own rough image.


I was really really having a hard time with the colour scheme here.  Because all of the colours were just too bright.  So I had to dim the wolf.  It just would not make sense for him to be brighter than the rest of the image (minus the hands).  I was also thinking that instead of having a gradation in the background, but rather morph the trees that a wolf naturally inhabits into nothingness.  Because when people do hand shadows, they're on walls, rather blank walls to enhance the shadow lines.

I was not positive about how I wanted the wolf to look at, so I made many very rough sketches, as a test run.


Anyway, this is what I've been working on lately.  I'll keep you posted.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment